After almost a year of planning, we have finally started our project. I thought I'd write up some of what we encountered -- perhaps we can cut some of the work for other societies?
The issues we had to address:
- What are we going to scan?
- How do we scan the items? What kind of scanner? What resolution? What workflow?
- How do we manage the digital files? How to edit? Metadata? How to display on our website?
- What is the impact of copyright and privacy laws and norms?
- What do we do with the physical items after scanning?
- Should we just scan the items that have been donated to us, or should we develop an action plan for identifying and acquiring/borrowing other items?
- Overview -- our goals and some guidelines
- Process -- soup to nuts, from scanning to putting on the web to storage
- Photograph Scanning Standards (there will also be a document scanning section)
- Metadata Standards
- Copyright and Privacy Standards
- Contributed Items (policies about items we don't own)
- Appendix A: Julia's Notes on Copyright and Privacy
- Appendix B: Resources